Sunday, November 16, 2008

HiCy Day 1

Yesterday was mostly a day of waiting. We arrived at 10am to be admitted but were sent home to be called back later. I took advantage of the time and took a nap and then we came back to IPOP at 12 or so. They changed my dressing and I had them take a CK which ended up being 1864.
When we finally got into our room they did height, weight, EKG, a cognitive test. I had to follow multiple directions, remember words, draw pictures, and write a sentence. "I will run again."
Nurses and docs are nice even if they have wake me up every 4 hours to do vitals. We were a little concerned when one of the fellow oncologists told us that he wanted to taper my Prednisone to 10mg now. I just went down from 20-15 last week with my doctor's OK and do not really like doing so without her ok. I guess they do this all the time and the adrenal will make 7.5 mg on its own, so we are safe.
Joyful addition to this is I started menstruating which I thought would be an issue with the low platelets, but those numbers won't start going down for a bit now and I will hopefully be in the clear. If not, they will give me something to slow it down.
Andrew has transformed into my errand boy/nurse and is doing a great job. I get to vicariously hear about the outside world and he keeps me smiling.
No nausea, just a headache and tired and trying to block out the machine that I am hooked up to that sounds like an on-going slide machine. We brought in the fan last night which helped with noise.
So after a whole day of waiting for the doctor to come in, do a check up, write the order, get the OK from the pharmacy, etc. we didn't start chemo until around 11:30/midnight. The pharmacy was questioning this treatment since it is not usually done and we were trying to have the on-call fellow doctors send articles. They couldn't be reached, but by the time the on-call physician came, it was fine with just our verbal ok and his signature in the morning. I was given the anti-nausea drug, Mesna to line my bladder, Ativan, and then the HiCy. I actually fell asleep when they gave the chemo for my 4 hours of peace.
We will start HiCy tonight at 8pm I hope.

No comments: