Thursday, November 13, 2008

Details

Today was a day that put us in much more positive spirits knowing that another Myositis patient has benefited from HiCy. I was also happy to hear that having visitors that are healthy is OK. Anyone thinking of suprising me- you must go through these questions.
Any live vaccines in the past 28 days (live flu?) Had chicken pox in the past 28 days? Had nausea, vomiting, diarrhea in the past week? Any runny nose, cough or cold? Cold sores, blisters? Skin rash?

I also was pleased to be given such thorough information slowly. We were given a large binder of everything to expect about getting chemo both in the hospital and out. - Treatment information, Managing Side Effects, Nutrition, Exercise, Coping, Care at Home, etc. There is some good info about what to do with certain symptoms, anemia, mouth care, taste changes, fatigue, naseau, food safety, etc. I will ask about getting a better oral thermometer. I don't trust the air flow with my digital ear one. Anything over 100.5 and you must contact the doc immediately.
We will wear N95 masks that have better filters in them than the regular ones.

What to pack:
clean clothes for each day- yeah don't have to wear a gown!
soft toothbrush and mild toothpast- flossing only if you do already
moisturizing soap
can't bring your own meds to the hospital- they will provide them with hospital pharmacy
no razors- you have to watch out for bleeding since your platelets that control clotting are wiped out

Meds:
I will get HiCy for 4 days and start tomorrow night.
Mesna will be given to protect the bladder wall from the side effects of HiCy.
After 4 days I will be given Norfloxacin, Fluconazole, Valacyclovir, Amoxicillin.
6 Days after HiCy I will be given the growth factor to speed along the "reboot."

I will do CK weekly to track and will hopefully do some physical therapy too if I am up to it.
I get line placed at 1pm and then we start with hydration. I will try to write or call in between bathroom runs....

No comments: