Saturday, November 15, 2008

Checking In

Having the Hickman catheter placed yesterday was no problem. I only wanted a local anesthetic since last time I didn't enjoy the side effects of the sedative. It was nice to be aware of what was going on and to leave sooner. I had my headphones on and did some good breathing and visualizations to stay relaxed. I didn't fill the pain med script they gave me and just took some Benedryl to help sleep with the discomfort. Since it is a smaller catheter than pheresis and I am stronger this time, I am not in as much pain and I can move around a little better. With scheduling issues, what pain med would be acceptable, questions for doctors etc., I was reminded that I don't want too many sedatives. You really have to be your own advocate with everyone so busy and yes, I may be a bit of a control freak.

Funny how this time reminds us of our travels to West Africa. We are in a hotel without Graham, eating only cooked food, and thinking about everything we touch.

Graham is doing well in his new school and says he could stay with Granny and Grampa for a year. He is having fun feeding the llamas, going to the sand dunes, a dairy farm, building great llego ships, soaking in the hot tub, and more. Can I come? The other night he told us that in his new school he doesn't have to clean his own plate after snack, that they have a bunny, a crab, and a fish, and that they have a maze like his school at home. We played simon says even though I can't see him and good old twenty questions where he changes his person, place, or thing half way through. He has no idea how much he makes us laugh.

OK, off to check in by 10 and saying good-bye to my wacky immune system....

No comments: