Monday, October 27, 2008

Preparations

I got a call today from a Blood and Marrow Transplant Coordinator. (Reminder, I am not getting a transplant). I was relieved to finally get a call to move things forward. I will soon get a call from a case manager to discuss the insurance side.

We discussed what to expect with this treatment and what I will be doing in the upcoming weeks.

-I will hopefully be able to do some evaluations here with my local primary care physician. Things like Sinus CT, Chest X-Ray, MUGA/Cardiogram. I will fax the results/disc to them. They will need 4-5 days to review and then I will go to Hopkins for the rest of the testing.

-Hopkins testing will include one day of a physical, history, and bloodwork. Next day will be for me to sign consent forms, and the 3rd day I will have my line placed. I will start treatment the following day after the line is placed. I am glad that treatment does not start the same day the line is placed since last time it was pretty uncomfortable.

-HiCy will be given for 4 days and then I will spend 30 days coming in daily to their IPOP (Inpatient/Outpatient Center). I will soon be connected with a housing coordinator.

-I was reminded again about hair loss and that most everyone will lose their hair.

- I will need some kind of mouth care. The HiCy attacks any rapidly growing cells ex. hair, mouth, lining of the stomach. I will need a note from my dentist stating that I do not have any dental issues since any cavity/infection could spread throughout the body. Luckily, cavities are not much of a problem for me but I am due to go in for a cleaning before treatment begins.

-I was reminded that I am not to be on any blood thinning drugs for at least 7 days before treatment. I guess fish oil is included here as well.

-I will be connected with a social worker to assist with paying for meds and who knows what else.

-Infertility is not much of a risk for my age and for having just one treatment, but needed to be addressed.

I will get an email of everything that was discussed on the phone and then she will call me on Wednesday to figure out what evaluations I can do locally. We discussed scheduling a bit and I confirmed that I want to do this as soon as possible and preferably before the holidays. We are not so concerned about this interfering with the holidays since we will make our own holiday when we are all reunited again.

No comments: